All that you need to prepare this recipe
- 1 bowl, rice milled
- ½ bowl, urad dal
- 1 tsp, finely chopped onion
- 2 tbsp, shredded carrot
- 1 ½ tbsp, capsicum green
- 1 ½ tbsp, capsicum yellow
- Ghee as required
- Salt to taste
- Cumin seeds as required
- Oil for greasing the idli molds
How to prepare?
- Soak the rice and urad dal for 5-6 hours. Grind the dal till it’s light and fluffy and follow the same for rice as well.
- Mix them well and add salt as per the taste.
- Keep the batter for 4-5 hours so that it ferments well. The amount of fermentation will define the softness and fluffiness of the idli.
- Heat ghee in a pan, add cumin seeds, when it splutters, add all the vegetables, salt needed and cook on medium flame for a few minutes stirring frequently.
- You do not have to cook it fully as we are going to steam it. Remove from the heat when half done.
- After it cools, mix it with the idli batter. Take a ladle of batter and pour it in the idli molds.
- Steam for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve it hot with chutney or sambhar.
Nutritional benefits from the recipe
||2-3 Year olds
||4-5 Year olds
*Recommended dietary allowance
- Another way of making the idli is with rice and suji.
- You can also sauté vegetables and add pieces of idli to it. It will look like pasta and can be consumed at room temperature as well.